Finding the best exercise machine for abs can be hard work as there are so many options on the market right now.
Luckily, we have taken the time to research plenty of exercise machines so that you can rest assured that we’re giving you the best advice.
If you don’t have time to read our entire article, our favorite model is Tristar AbCoaster. It provides a total ab workout and is one of the best value machines you can find.
9 Best Exercise Machines for Abs
After running dozens of machines against our criteria we found 9 machines were the pick of the bunch.
|Tristar AbCoaster||Home gym- our pick||$$$|
|Lanos Rowing Machine||Seniors||$$$|
|Finer Form Abs Bench||Beginners||$$$|
|Fitness Ab Roller||Budget||$|
|Fitness Reality X-Class Abs Bench||Bad back||$$$|
|Weider Ultimate Body Works||Six pack||$$$|
|Bowflex Body Tower||Lower abs||$$$$|
|Inspire Fitness Ab Bench||Upgrade||$$$$$|
Here’s why these ones made the cut…
Best Ab Machine for Home Gym – Our Pick: Tristar AbCoaster
The Tristar AbCoaster is the best machine on the market for working your abs. There is no stress or strain put on your back or neck while using this machine.
However, it still provides you with a comprehensive workout that guarantees results.
Unlike a lot of other ab exercise machines, Tristar AbCoaster targets your entire core area. This includes your upper, middle, and lower abs, and it works in half the time of most other abs bases work-out equipment.
It has a twisted seat for amazing oblique workouts or can slide from side to side for a press ab/core work-out.
Included is an easy-to-read display that keeps track of your ab and core workout for you so you can keep all your attention focused on your home exercising session.
- Works your entire core- every aspect of your core will be engaged.
- Perfect for people of any skill set- work your way up to athlete status.
- Features a display- keep an eye on your stats and performance.
- Usable by anyone- supports up to 300 pounds of weight.
- Not for people under 5 feet- some shorter customers found it uncomfortable.
Best Ab Machine for Seniors: Lanos Rowing Machine
The Lanos Rowing Machine is ideal for seniors who don’t want to lose muscle definition from their core. This machine gives a low-impact workout without compromising the power.
Not only does it work the core, but it also works with every major muscle group in the body.
The included LCD display allows you to track your progress and stay motivated throughout your workout. It shows your row count and the calories burned.
There is a hydraulic resistant knob to manually adjust the tension with control so you can customize your workout to your needs and preferences.
Enjoy the ergonomic design created for comfort. Your workout doesn’t have to be uncomfortable.
The footplates work with every shoe size, ensuring your safety throughout your workout. The machine is incredibly sturdy and reliable, aiding you for years to come.
- Full body workout- your core, arms, legs, back, and glutes are used.
- Easy to assemble- partly assembled pieces don’t take long to fit together.
- Suitable for all ages- low impact workout makes this machine good for all ages.
- Affordable price- impressively low price for such a machine.
- Noisy after a while- might begin to squeak or creak without oiling the joints.
Best Ab Machine for Beginners: Finer Form Abs Bench
If you’re just starting out on your ab journey, the Finer Form Abs Bench is for you. It comes with a free PDF to provide you with a guide of exactly how to use the bench, which is ideal for beginners.
If you’re looking to tone up more than just your abs, this bench might be ideal.
There are different settings that come along with the bench. These provide you with the ideal station to workout your body.
The bench is supportive and comfortable enough to be used for a prolonged period of time.
The bench is stable and reliable, with the ability to hold up to 660 pounds of weight.
It is made from steel that has been powder-coated with scratch-resistant material. You’ll get the most out of this bench for many years to come.
- Very versatile bench- you can use the bench for more than just ab workouts.
- Comes with a free chart- download your free workout chart as a PDF.
- Turns beginners into pros- transition your workouts from intermediate to advanced.
- Extremely durable- can hold up to 660 pounds.
- Difficult to assemble- a few reviewers found the instructions were difficult to follow.
Best Ab Machine for the Whole Body: FitLaya Fitness-abs
An ab workout is fun, but what about a full-body workout instead? The FitLaya Fitness-abs machine is sure to get your whole body engaged and working.
The way that the machine is made, your arms, core, thighs, and back will all work together to take your fitness to another level.
Take advantage of the four resistance levels. You can adjust these to meet your current level and focus on certain parts of your body.
You’ll be able to track your workout thanks to the LCD display, showing calories burned and repetitions.
The machine itself is very safe and simple to use, with knee cushions for comfort and hand grips.
You can fold the machine down to a size ideal for storing away when you’re not using it. Customize your workouts with sit-ups, push-ups, cycling, biceps curls, lunges, and much more.
- Good for storage- the lightweight and foldable design is good for small apartments.
- Suitable for everyone- weight capacity is 440 pounds.
- Not just for the core- work your entire body in one session.
- More comfortable than it looks- padded areas keep you focused on the workout rather than pain.
- Missing instructions- you might not receive an instruction manual in the box.
Best Budget Ab Machine: Fitness Ab Roller
Are you looking for an exercise machine for your abs that don’t cost too much? If so, the Fitness Ab Roller is the ideal match for you.
At such a low price, what’s the harm in trying it out for yourself? The small apparatus is portable and easy to assemble within seconds.
Sometimes the best things come in small packages. While this Ab Roller might be small in size, it still offers you an intense ab workout.
The stainless steel framing and rubber exterior ensure that you can use the roller wherever you are without damaging the flooring.
Not only will the roller train your abs, but your arms, shoulders, and back will also get a workout.
The more you use the roller, the more your body is protected from a muscular injury. Everyone can, and should, use this roller!
- Portable ab workout- take apart and put together within seconds.
- Inexpensive option- with a price point of under $10, how can you go wrong?
- Work on your upper body strength- your upper muscle groups all get a workout.
- Small but mighty- impresses with a weight capacity of 400 pounds.
- You could outgrow it- people with high fitness levels might not find it as effective as beginners.
Best Ab Machine for a Bad Back: Fitness Reality X-Class Abs Bench
Working out on a bad back can make the pain worse and deter you from exercise for good. If you want to still work on your abs with a bad back, the Fitness Reality X-Class Ab Bench is the one for you.
The bench is covered with medium-density foam that is thick enough to give your back complete support.
The bench can be manipulated into four different positions, from flat to declining.
The thigh cushions can also be adjusted 14 times.
Using these settings can help you achieve the ideal back position and support so that it does not get in the way of your workout. Once you’re finished with the bench you can use the wheels to transport it to its storage space.
People suffering from bad backs are not going to want to lift a heavy piece of equipment, so the wheels are a nice touch.
- Available to everyone- people from 5 foot to 6 foot 4 can use this bench.
- Easy wipe down- the vinyl covering is double stitched and moisture-resistant.
- Easy to store- transportation wheels help you move the bench between uses.
- Includes stabilizers- these ensure that the bench won’t fall or move while in use.
- Not the best for full-body workouts- a few customers found that they couldn’t work for other muscle groups with this bench.
Best Ab Machine for a Six-pack: Weider Ultimate Body Works
People who don’t want to mess around and see results in record time will get on well with the Weider Ultimate Body Works ab machine. You can customize your workout with eight inclination levels and a telescoping design.
No matter what pilates or ab exercise you want to do, there is a simple way to do it with this machine.
With the help of the 50 pounds of additional resistance, you’ll have the six-pack of your dreams in no time.
The space-saving design allows you to fold your bench down to almost completely flat, which is ideal if you wanted to store it away.
It’s not just your abs that will get a workout with this machine, either. You can practice squats, chest presses, and lateral pulldowns as well as ab exercises.
- Considered best for building a six-pack- countless happy customer testimonials indicate how effective this machine is.
- Work your entire body- the bench is excellent for every major muscle group.
- Added features- you will receive free-motion cables and resistance bands.
- Included warranty- the manufacturer offers 90-day parts and labor warranty.
- Difficult mechanisms- adjusting the machine is not as seamless as you might like.
Best Ab Machine for Lower Abs: Bowflex Body Tower
Lower abs are very difficult to train because that is where the majority of our excess fat is stored.
If you want to focus solely on this area, you might like the Bowflex BodyTower. The usability of the machine ensures that your lower abs will not be ignored or neglected.
With seven levels of adjustment, you can complete over twenty different ab exercises with the BodyTower.
You are in control of how intense your workout is thanks to these adjustments. You’ll also receive the handgrips and sling straps for no extra cost.
The Bowflex BodyTower is not for the faint of heart, that’s for sure. However, you don’t need to be uncomfortable while using it.
The cushioned back pad is covered in non-absorbent foam for added comfort and stability.
- Works the most neglected part of your body- lower abs are incredibly difficult to see any progress.
- Workout instructions- never forget an exercise again with the free exercise placard.
- Bodyweight exercises- why over complicate your workout with weights and bands?
- Excellent warranty- the frame has a five-year warranty and the parts a one year warranty.
- Missing parts- a few people found that their box was missing important parts.
Our “if money was no object” Pick: Inspire Fitness Ab Bench
One of the best exercise machines for abs on the market, in our opinion, is the Inspire Fitness Ab Bench.
If money was no object, we would suggest this one all the way. You’ll be receiving a bench that you’d expect to find in a commercial gym, and you can have it in your house.
The Ab Bench offers you an isolated workout that focuses solely on your abs. Burn calories and build your core muscles incredibly efficiently.
The weighted horn that is built onto the bench helps you to add even more resistance to your workout.
The bench pad is wrapped in closed cell foam to give the back as much support as possible.
Moreover, the heat pads can reduce strain on your back and ensure that you maintain correct form throughout every exercise you complete.
- Works for everyone- the weighted horn is optional for advanced users.
- Gym quality- bring the gym to your home for half the price.
- Easy to install- comes with clear instructions and labeling hardware.
- Included warranty- 10-year warranty for the frame.
- Very heavy- the machine weighs over 100 pounds and therefore is difficult to move from room to room.
There are four things that you should consider before purchasing your exercise machine.
- Ease of use
- Your fitness levels
If you rush and don’t consider the points below, you might find that your machine doesn’t aid you in the way that you’d have hoped.
How large of a machine can you fit in your house? Do you have a room dedicated to your home gym, or will you need to store the machine away after each use?
Some machines can be folded away and easily transported between rooms like the Fitness Reality X-Class Abs Bench.
Ease of use
Your exercise machine needs to be easy to use, otherwise, you’re not going to reach for it. You need a machine that is quick and simple to use.
You do not want to be wasting your session trying to adjust the machine to the next position. The Fitness Ab Roller is incredibly easy to use and doesn’t require any adjustments.
How many exercises you can complete with your machine will determine how much use you can get out of it.
The FitLaya Fitness-abs and Lanos Rowing Machine are both designed for full-body workouts.
The Bowflex BodyTower offers over 20 exercises to complete with the machine. While this offers some variety, it is not as much as some of the other machines.
Benches can generally be used for a lot of different exercises, but make sure that you’re not purchasing a one-trick pony.
Beginners are going to need a different machine than advanced trainers.
Beginners should start with a less strenuous machine, such as the Finer Form Abs Bench, to avoid injuring themselves.
As your strength increases you can move onto more advanced models like the Inspire Fitness Ab Bench or the Weider Ultimate Body Works.
5 Types of Ab Machines
The ab coaster reverses the traditional crunch. Instead of working your abs from the top down, it begins at the bottom and works towards the top.
This is to ensure that the lower abs are not neglected in your workout. You kneel on a platform and pull your knees up towards your chest.
The Tristar AbCoaster is our top pick.
Ab Wheels or Rollers
An ab wheel or roller is a small device that you use to lower your body towards the floor before bringing it back up again.
Kneel with the roller on the floor and slowly roll it away from you until your body is flush to the floor. Now roll it back towards you so your body is lifted again. Simple yet effective, ab wheels are excellent and effective.
We recommend the fitness ab roller as a budget pick.
A bench can be used in an inclined or declined position, depending on your fitness level.
Simply lay back on the bench and complete a set of sit-ups, pull-ups, push-ups, and crunches. It’s also very versatile and is great if you want to lift weights for a bench press or row.
We recommend the Fitness Reality bench.
Roman Chairs and Back Hyperextension Benches
Roman chairs are best for strengthening your back, but in turn, this will also help your core tone up.
Your back is the foundation of every exercise, so you need to make sure that it is looked after. A strong back will make other exercises easier, including core work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best Exercise Machine for Abs- The Bottom Line
There are different types of ab machines on the market.
Each one will suit different people depending on their fitness levels, budget and goals.
Be sure to check out our comparison of over 100 all in one home gyms if you’re looking for the ultimate piece of equipment.