Choosing the best Smith machine can be tricky. There are so many different models to choose from.
We have compared and tested over 50 Smith machines available and narrowed it down to the top 9. We’ve summarized our favorites to help you pick.
Our pick if money was no object is the MiM USA Commercial Hercules.
9 Best Smith Machines for Home Use
Here is a quick roundup of our top picks. Click through on any model to find out the current price as well as look at other people’s reviews.
Here are the scores of our chosen machines out of 6 ranking factors:
- 12 gauge steel or better (the lower the number the stronger the steel)
- Compact machine
- Includes cables
- Lifetime warranty
- Amazon rating over 4.5
- Good value (under $2,500)
The Force USA Monster G3 easily earns the spot of our top pick. It combines a Smith machine, cable pulley system, and a power rack to give you a full workout.
What makes this product great is that the Smith machine component is angled for your natural body movement.
This will make sure you have a strong, safe workout. You can also re-rack your Smith bar into any height position you need to with ease.
This all-in-one training system will give you everything you need to smash through your workout goals.
The power rack and functional trainer components will save you from buying other equipment for your home gym.
The only thing to note would be that you’ll need to get your own bench and weights to go with this particular machine.
- 75+ different exercises- gives you a full-body workout.
- Angled for natural body movement- won’t put any strain on your body.
- Compact- won’t take up much space in your home gym.
- Olympic sized plates- only uses Olympic sized plates for better lifting.
- Commercial grade J-Hooks and Safeties- quality materials to last even longer.
- No bench or weights- you will need to buy these separately.
The Body-Solid SCB1000 gives you everything you need for an effective workout.
The main selling point of this machine is that it’s designed to suit every user regardless of size.
The key thing about this Smith machine is that it comes with safe guided motion.
This is a key thing to look for in a Smith machine. It will mean that you won’t need a spotter during workouts, and will keep you from losing your balance.
It comes with 6 Olympic weight storage posts so that you can safely suspend plates off the floor. This might be ideal if you’re looking for your Olympic plates to be within easy access.
The Body-Solid SCB1000 is designed to make your workouts easier. It features freedom of biomechanically correct movement to give you a seamless workout.
- Counterbalanced to 6 pounds- anyone can use it regardless of their size.
- Weight capacity of 1,000 pounds- to suit a variety of different weights.
- Versatile- you can use it for several different exercises.
- Reverse pitch and silky smooth vertical carriage- designed to be easier for you to use.
- 11-gauge steel- strong and sturdy to cope with intense workouts.
- Pricy- one of the more expensive machines available.
Our best budget pick is the Body-Solid Powerline PSM144X. This Smith machine will give you all the basics you need to smash those squat reps.
Even though our budget pick is a bit more basic than the more expensive options, it will give you everything you need from a Smith machine.
It has been designed so that you can use it safely without the need to have someone spot you.
This might make it ideal for those of you who don’t always find time to hit the gym.
Another important thing to remember is that its smaller size means it won’t take up loads of room in your home gym.
- 12-gauge steel- strong and sturdy to cope with your intense workouts.
- Super-glide nylon bushings- gives you a smoother operation.
- Dual-lock safety spotter catch- ideal for using on your own without a spotter.
- Compact- won’t take up loads of room in your home gym.
- Free weight and resistance power training- offers you this with the safety and support of a machine.
- Basic option- this won’t give you as much versatility as other machines on our list.
The Commercial Home Gym Smith machine is one of the more complete products we came across.
It includes high-tension cross cables as well as a Smith machine to give you a thorough full-body workout.
This Smith machine is counterbalanced with sealed bearing pulleys so as to be suitable for even the heaviest user.
This might be the ideal pick for those who struggle to find a suitable Smith machine for their size!
While this machine will take up more space in your home gym, it will give you everything you need to build muscle effectively.
It’s worth bearing in mind that the standard version doesn’t come with a bench or weights.
The deluxe version does, however, so may be worth the investment if you want everything covered.
- Commercial-grade- a quality machine that will cope with your workout’s demands.
- 12 adjustable heights- to suit a variety of reps.
- High tension cross cables- 2,000 pound cross cables come with 16 adjustable heights.
- Versatile- you can use it for a variety of exercises.
- Deluxe edition available- includes a bench and weights.
Expensive- one of the more expensive options available.
This Smith machine is one of the best choices for an all-in-one piece of equipment.
The MiM USA Compact Machine can be used for a variety of different exercises. This might be the perfect choice for you if you want more bang for your buck.
You won’t need to worry about getting a mate to spot you with this Smith machine.
Safety is at the forefront of the manufacturer’s mind, and the MiM USA Compact Smith Machine has several features for maximum safety.
These include a sturdy whole welding frame, safety catch hooks, and many more.
It comes complete with a weight bench to give you more to work with.
The Smith machine aspect of the product uses a patented sliding support system for a smoother workout.
- Compact- won’t take up loads of space in your home gym.
- Several safety features- to keep you safe while you workout on your own.
- Smooth and silent- offers you seamless operation with no distracting noises.
- Versatile- you can use it for a variety of exercises.
- Specialized structure- to offer you a smoother and safer workout.
- Basic instructions- the setup instructions are a little more basic than other machines.
The Marcy Smith cage is a worthy investment if you’re looking for a piece of gym equipment that can be used for a variety of different exercises.
It includes a Smith machine, cable crossovers, pull-up bar, removable utility bench, and a leg developer.
While it will take up a bit of space, it will give you everything you need to do a full workout. You’ll have everything you need to work on your arms, legs, core, and thighs.
This Smith machine has been designed with solo workouts in mind. It comes with a variety of safety features so you won’t have to get a mate to spot you.
- Versatile home equipment- includes several pieces of equipment as well as a Smith machine.
- Safety stops and bar catches- designed with solo workouts in mind.
- Removable utility bench- can be adapted for a variety of exercises.
- Four storage posts- organize your weights all in one place.
- Complete workout- has everything you need for a full body workout.
- Weights not included- you’ll need to buy a set of weights to match your workout goals.
The Weider Pro 8500 Smith Cage includes several different pieces of equipment as well as a Smith machine.
This might be the top pick for those looking for an all-in-one machine. You can use it for a variety of different exercises without having to buy several different machines.
It comes with a multi-grip pull-up and pull-down system, as well as an adjustable bench. These will give you everything you need to smash your workout goals.
It has the option to use a separate Olympic barbell. This is great as it includes a squat rack and Smith machine in one.
You can learn the differences between a Smith machine vs a squat rack here.
The Smith machine component comes with safety catches to give you a safer workout.
These safety features will make the Weider Pro 8500 Smith Cage a welcome addition to your home gym.
- Attached bar- Smith machine element comes with a multi-level squat rack.
- Weight storage plate- for you to keep all your weights in one place when not in use.
- Adjustable utility bench- for a variety of exercises.
- Seven major training stations- to give you a full body workout.
- Large user weight capacity- suitable for those up to 300 pounds.
- Doesn’t come with weights- you’ll need to buy these as well as the Smith cage.
The Valor Fitness BE-11 has been designed to be suitable for anyone to use. It will give any user the appropriate amount of resistance.
This will be helpful for working towards your workout goals.
This Smith machine has been built with stability and strength in mind. It uses strong 12-gauge steel for a sturdy frame.
The bar is attached to the machine, so can be used safely in your own home gym without a mate having to spot you.
The Valor Fitness BE-11 features reverse pitch and silky smooth vertical carriage for a safe and efficient workout.
It is worth noting that cables aren’t included with this Smith machine.
You will need to pay extra for these as an add on if you were going to use this for anything other than light commercial workouts.
- 12-gauge steel- strong enough to cope with even the most demanding workout.
- Safe guided motion- eliminates the need for a spotter.
- Storage pegs- keep your weights all in one place after use.
- Versatile- can be used for a variety of exercises.
- Knurled bar- designed to give you better grip during workouts.
Instructions- need to read these carefully when building the machine.
If money was no object, the MiM USA Commercial Hercules would be the Smith machine we’d go for.
This commercial-grade machine has everything you need for a full body workout.
It comes with a variety of equipment included – as well as a Smith machine – to use for several different exercises. So while it’s one of the more expensive machines, it might be the one to opt for if you want to save on space.
You won’t need to buy several different machines as this will cover all the exercises you need.
The MiM USA Commercial Hercules features things like knurled handles and a variety of grip options for easier use.
You’ll have everything you need to smash your workout goals with this particular Smith machine set up.
- Combo multi-functional trainer- as well as a Smith machine for a full workout.
- Max weight of 555 pounds- for users of any size.
- Variety of storage- for all your bars and weight plates.
- Short and long safety catch- to keep you safe during solo workouts.
- Unsymmetrical design- to save storage space as well as weight balance.
Weight plates not included- you would need to choose your ideal weights.
Best Smith Machine – Buyer’s Guide
There are 4 main things you need to consider when buying a Smith machine.
- Footprint aka size
- Type of steel
Factors such as price and what you intend to use it for will also be important.
If you keep in mind the results you’re looking for from a Smith machine, you can find the best one for your needs.
Take a look at these points to see what you need to think about.
Footprint aka size
The first thing you should do before buying a Smith machine is to measure the space you have available for it. Will your chosen Smith machine fit into your home gym?
Once you’ve measured your available gym space, double check the footprint of your chosen Smith machine.
While a larger machine may seem to have everything you need, there’ll be little point in buying it if it won’t fit in your home gym.
Type of steel
If you want a sturdy machine that can cope with your demanding workouts, the type of steel used for construction is important.
Steel of a lesser quality, such as 14-gauge steel, might not be as strong as you need it to be.
12-gauge steel is a good place to start. This steel should be more than strong enough to cope with any heavy-duty workouts. 11-gauge steel is even better.
The gauge basically refers to how thick the steel is. So the thicker the steel used, the better.
Do the weight plates come with it? The more accessories included, the better.
Any accessories not included will need to be bought separately. While this will mean you can fully customize the Smith machine to your needs, it may cost you more in the long run.
Think about what you need from your Smith machine and see if it comes with the accessories required.
What warranty is the manufacturer able to offer you with the Smith machine?
Seeing as most of the Smith machines that we’ve included on our list are expensive pieces of equipment, this will be important.
The longer the warranty and more aftercare the manufacturer can offer you, the better. Hopefully, you won’t need to make use of a longer warranty.
But it’s something worth having to give you more peace of mind in the long term. Especially if you’ll be using your Smith machine for demanding workouts.
Exercises and workouts for Smith machines
Smith machines have been specifically designed with squats in mind. There are many myths about a Smith machine in the gym community still.
These give you the stability and safety of a machine and take away the need for a spotter.
That being said, Smith machines are a versatile piece of equipment that can be used for a variety of different exercises.
Just because it’s intended for squats doesn’t mean you can’t use it to give yourself a full body workout, such as in the video below.
You can focus on just chest exercises.
Or you can use your Smith machine to focus on leg exercises.
Frequently asked questions
The bottom line for Smith machines
After reviewing more than 50 Smith machines, there are some clear winners.
The Force USA Monster G3 is our overall top pick because of the value for money as well as the versatility of the machine.
Our best budget pick is the Body-Solid Powerline PSM144X, which will give you all the basics you need from a Smith machine.
And if money were no object, we would easily choose the MiM USA Commercial Hercules.
You can find a summary of all our picks at the top of this page.
Or if you’re looking for something to create your own home gym, take a look at our review of the best all-in-one home gyms.