Looking for the best Total Gym model can be difficult. There are so many different models to choose from.
We’ve spent over 30 hours researching the Total Gym range. After putting the gym equipment to the test we’ve narrowed it down to our favorite 9 Total Gym models.
If you’re in a hurry the Total Gym XLS is our top pick due to the range of muscles you are able to work and the overall value you get from the machine.
- Best Total Gym Model Roundup
- 1. Best Total Gym Model- Our Pick: Total Gym XLS
- 2. Best Budget Total Gym Model Alternative: Weider Ultimate body works
- 3. Best Total Gym for Seniors: Total Gym Fitness Fusion
- 4. Best Total Gym for Beginners: Total Gym APEX G3
- 5. Best Total Gym for Tall Person: Total Gym GTS
- 6. Best Total Gym for the Money: Total Gym 1400
- 7. Best Total Gym for Bodybuilding: Total Gym X-Force
- 8. Best Total Gym for Pilates: Total Gym Optima
- 9. Our “if money was no object pick”: GR8FLEX Gym
- Buyers Guide
- Benefits of a Total Gym
- Total Gym Workouts
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Total Gym Model Roundup
Here is a quick roundup of our top picks. You can click through on any model to check out the recent price. You can also take a look at other customer’s reviews.
We’ll go into more detail below about why these 9 models are our top picks.
We’ve included our strict review criteria in the buyer’s guide below to help you choose the best Total Gym model for you.
|Machine||Best For||Weight Capacity||Resistance Levels||Exercises||Special Extras||Price|
|Total Gym XLS||Our pick||400||6||80||Squat stand, leg pull, wing attachment, exercise wall chart, nutrition meal plan||$$$$|
|Weider Ultimate body works||Budget||250||7||50||Hand grip attachment||$|
|Total Gym Fitness Fusion||Seniors||275||12||60||AbCrunch accessory, wing attachment, pilates kit with toe bar, leg pulley system, STEP attachment, 5 workout DVDs, exercise wall chart, nutrition guide||$$$$|
|Total Gym APEX G3||Beginners||300||8||70||Includes wing attachment, squat stand, leg pull accessory, dip bars, exercise flip chart, Total Gym TV access, exercise & nutrition guides, owner’s manual, and DVD||$$$|
|Total Gym GTS||Tall people||350||8||250||Wing attachment, leg pull accessory, squat stand||$$$$$|
|Total Gym 1400||The money||250||8||60||Wing attachment, leg pull accessory, squat stand||$|
|Total Gym X-Force||Bodybuilding||350||12||60||Tri-Grip shaper bar, ab and leg pull, dip bars, wing attachments and squat stand||$$|
|Total Gym Optima||Pilates||400||8||60||Squat stand, leg pulley||$$|
|GR8FLEX Gym||Money no object||450||15||140||Wing bar, dip bars, leg harness/pulley system, cell phone holder/stand, EZ curl bar, Crunch ab accessory, soft grip handles, extra large squat stand, resistance bands||$$$$$|
Our top pick is the Total Gym XLS. This Total Gym model is hands down the best model available.
It gives you a thorough full body workout to help you smash your workout goals. You can work on all of the major muscle groups for an efficient workout.
The pulley system can be used for a variety of exercises. These will help to keep you fit and healthy. They are also more versatile than working out with a barbell.
The Total Gym XLS comes with a range of accessories including ankle cuffs and many others for an effective workout.
Another great feature of the Total Gym XLS is its compact nature. You can easily fold away the equipment when it’s not in use. Ideal if you want to make the most of your available workout space.
However, the machine itself is heavy. You won’t be able to move it easily around the room once it’s set up.
- Versatile- can be used for a variety of exercises.
- Additional accessories- range of accessories included for a thorough workout.
- Training videos- includes a range of training videos to kickstart your training.
- Compact- won’t take up too much space in your home gym.
- Comprehensive workout- gives you everything you need for a full body workout.
- Noisy- can be squeaky when used.
A budget alternative to a Total Gym model is the Weider Ultimate body works.
This competitor model gives you a great range of exercises to complete for a thorough workout. A great choice if you’re wanting a cheaper model that’s more affordable for the average home gym.
You can choose between the standard, improved standard, and upgrade versions. So you can easily choose the model which best suits your needs.
The Weider Ultimate body works gives you everything you need to smash your workout goals. You can use this gym equipment to perform seated chest presses, squats, v-crunches, lateral pulldowns, and more.
While this is a great budget option, it won’t be as sturdy as some of the other Total Gym models on our list.
- Budget friendly- more affordable than the competitive Total Gym models.
- Versatile- can be used for a variety of exercises at home.
- Large weight capacity- comes with a large weight capacity of 250 pounds.
- Cable and pulley system- can be used for more versatile workouts than a barbell.
- Compact- can easily be stored away after use.
- Wobbly- some users found the equipment to be wobbly during use.
The Total Gym Fitness Fusion is our top pick for seniors. This gym equipment is simple and easy to use for a thorough workout.
It gives you everything you need to stay fit and healthy if you don’t want to use more complicated machinery.
You can choose between over 60 workouts to suit your fitness goals. The Total Gym Fitness Fusion allows you to choose between cardio, stretch, and strength training. You can adjust between quick workouts or more intensive workouts to suit your schedule.
A great feature of this particular Total Gym model is the adjustable resistance. You can easily set the machine to suit your required level of resistance for a more effective workout.
There are a range of fitness videos included with this Total Gym model. However, they are only available on the included DVDs. There’s no digital content as an alternative.
- Versatile- can be used for a variety of exercises.
- Adjustable resistance- easily adjust the resistance to suit your workout requirements.
- Full body workout- target all the major muscle groups to help build muscle.
- Additional accessories- includes all the necessary accessories for a more effective workout.
- Workout videos and books- includes a range of fitness DVDs and books to get you started.
- No digital content- fitness videos are only available on the included DVDs.
The Total Gym APEX G3 is a great fit for beginners. This machine gives you a range of 8 resistance levels to choose from.
There is also a variety of exercise videos for you to follow to get you started.
With the Total Gym APEX G3 you can easily choose between quick workouts or more intensive workouts. This is a great feature if you want to find a workout that will suit your schedule.
The Total Gym APEX G3 offers you a full body workout. This makes it a great fit for beginners who want to stay on top of their fitness.
This Total Gym model is better suited for beginners and may not be as versatile for more dedicated gym rats.
The included foot pad is on the small side, too. This will make it an awkward fit for taller people.
- Large weight capacity- can support up to 300 pounds.
- Additional accessories- includes all the accessories you need for an efficient workout.
- Versatile- can be used for over 70 different exercises.
- Ergonomic- glideboard is padded and has been designed for your comfort.
- Foldable design- compact, foldable design makes for easy storage.
- Smaller foot pad- some taller customers found the foot pad to be on the small side.
The Total Gym GTS is our top pick for taller people. This particular Total Gym model gives you ample room to use the whole of your body during the workout.
You won’t have to manipulate your body into uncomfortable angles to fit the machine’s dimensions.
It also features a large foot pad to give you plenty of foot space during workouts. You can adjust the resistance of the Total Gym GTS between 8 different levels.
The versatile machine can be used for more than 250 different exercises. You can easily get a full body workout with the Total Gym GTS.
Another great feature is its foldable design. As with competitive Total Gym machines, this means you can fold it away after use. This compact design makes for easier storage so that it doesn’t take over your home.
One thing to bear in mind is that the Total Gym GTS is one of the higher end machines that the manufacturer produces. It comes with the hefty price tag to match, too.
- Large foot pad- better suited for taller people.
- Full body workout- helps you smash through your workout goals.
- Versatile- can be used for over 250 different exercises.
- Durable construction- manufactured using high quality materials to last you for longer.
- Adjustable- choose between 8 levels of resistance.
- Expensive- one of the higher end Total Gym models that comes with the price tag to match.
The Total Gym 1400 is undoubtedly the best Total Gym model for the money. This particular model gives you a great range of exercises for the price.
While it might not be the best for serious bodybuilders who want to pack on muscle, it will do a great job of covering your overall fitness.
The Total Gym 1400 gives you a range of over 60 exercises to complete. You can easily get a full body workout completed in as little as 20 minutes.
This makes it a great fit for those who are looking for a Total Gym model to help them workout comfortably at home.
A great thing about the Total Gym 1400 is that you can tone all the major muscle groups. The versatility of this Total Gym model will save you from a trip to the gym, too.
This is a great fit for your home gym if you want a Total Gym model that’s affordable and can help you stay fit.
It’s worth bearing in mind that this model is better suited for general fitness rather than building tons of muscle.
- Budget-friendly- one of the more affordable Total Gym models.
- Versatile- can be used for over 60 different exercises.
- Full body workout- gives you everything you need to work on every muscle group.
- Fitness videos- includes a range of workouts on DVD to get you started.
- Compact- features the unique Total Gym foldable design for easier storage.
- Smaller load capacity- has a smaller maximum load capacity of 250 pounds compared to some other Total Gym models.
If you’re looking for a Total Gym model that can help smash your bodybuilding goals then the Total Gym X-Force is the model for you.
This Total Gym model comes with a range of additional accessories to push your body to its limits. You can use the included dip bars, ab crunch boards, and many other accessories to help build muscle.
The Total Gym X-Force is a versatile machine that can be used for more than 60 different exercises. This makes it a great fit for bodybuilders who want to work on various muscle groups.
Another great feature of the Total Gym X-Force model is that it comes with a range of fitness videos and an exercise guide to kickstart your workouts.
This will be a handy feature if you’re new to owning a Total Gym model and want more guidance on how to make the most out of it.
Overall the Total Gym X-Force is a great model for your home gym. However, taller people should bear in mind that the squat stand is on the smaller side.
- Easy to use- no assembly required before using it.
- Large weight capacity- designed for users of up to 350 pounds.
- Versatile- can be used for more than 70 different exercises.
- Additional accessories- includes a variety of additional accessories to kickstart your workout.
- Compact- can easily be folded away after use for easier storage.
- Smaller squat stand- squat stand is on the smaller side so may not be suited to taller people.
The Total Gym Optima is a great fit for those passionate about pilates. It helps you to focus on your core strength in particular.
What’s really great is you can adjust the resistance of the Total Gym Optima to suit your workout needs.
The Total Gym Optima allows you to choose the workout for you. You can use it for quick workouts or even more intensive workouts. It will also have a low impact on your joints compared to other gym equipment.
Overall this is a great fit for your home gym. It can give you a thorough full body workout to suit your fitness goals.
It’s worth bearing in mind that this won’t be the best fit for taller people. The foot pad is on the small side.
- Versatile- can be used for over 60 different exercises.
- Full body workout- helps you to easily work on all major muscle groups.
- Compact- can easily be folded away after use.
- Adjustable resistance- easily adjust the resistance of the machine by changing the height the bodyboard is stationed at.
- Smaller foot pad- not the best for taller people.
The GR8FLEX Gym would be our pick if money were no object. This particular alternative to a Total Gym model comes with a range of fancy features to give you a thorough full-body workout.
It comes with a range of additional accessories to cover all aspects of your workout.
A great feature of the GR8FLEX Gym is you can adjust the resistance to suit your workout needs. It can be adjusted between 15 different resistance levels.
The included resistance bands allow you to add even more resistance between 10 pounds to 50 pounds. A handy feature if you want to smash through your personal bests.
Overall the GR8FLEX is a fantastic alternative to the Total Gym models we’ve reviewed above. You won’t have to assemble the gym equipment before you use it, either.
It’s worth bearing in mind that this model comes with a heftier price tag than some Total Gym models.
- No assembly required- even easier to use straight out of the box.
- Additional accessories- includes a variety of additional accessories for a thorough workout.
- Pulley system- more versatile than other types of home gym equipment.
- Varying resistance- choose the best resistance for your workout needs.
- Lifetime warranty- the entirety of the machine is covered by the lifetime warranty.
- Pricy- more expensive than some Total Gym models we’ve reviewed above.
There are a few factors that you will need to think about before buying a total gym model.
- Your fitness goals
- Weight capacity
- Resistance levels
We’ll cover some more important factors that you should consider below. These also played a hand in how we chose our top 9 Total Gym models.
Size- folding and storage options
The overall size of your chosen Total Gym model will be important.
Have you got enough room to accommodate it in your home gym?
How much space will you need to get a full range of movement?
Most Total Gym models feature a foldable design. This allows you to easily fold them away after use. Our top pick the XLS is a great example of this folding and space-saving feature.
If you’re looking for a compact all in one home gym then check out our top picks here.
Another factor to consider is the weight capacity of your chosen Total Gym model. Some of these are able to offer larger weight capacities than others.
You should aim for a Total Gym model that is able to accommodate your overall weight. You won’t want to have spent all that money to find you can’t use it.
The larger the weight capacity of your chosen Total Gym model, the sturdier it will be.
The GR8FLEX has the largest weight capacity with 450lb.
The more resistance levels your Total Gym model has the better. This will allow you to adjust the difficulty of your workouts.
The more resistance you’re able to use, the more workout goals you can smash through.
Look for a Total Gym model that comes with at least 200 pounds resistance. This should give you a decent range of resistance to work with. Anything less than this and you won’t be able to get the versatility you need from your leg workouts.
The X-Force model has 12 resistance levels, which is the reason it’s our pick if you want to build muscle mass.
Does your chosen Total Gym model come with a range of additional accessories?
The APEX G3 has tons of accessories such as:
- Wing attachment
- Squat stand
- Leg pull accessory
- dip bars
- Exercise flip chart
- Total Gym TV access
- Exercise and nutrition guides
- Owners manual
This is ideal if you’re a beginner. The more additional accessories that are included, the less you’ll have to buy or figure out for yourself!
Additional accessories can give your Total Gym models more versatility. Below is an example of the types of additional accessories you should look out for.
Number of exercises available
The number of exercises you’re able to perform with your chosen Total Gym model will be crucial. Most Total Gym models should offer you at least 60 exercises to give you a full body workout.
You’ll want to choose a model that can give you a full body workout. Most Total Gym models will include a variety of fitness videos to get you started and show you how to use your new equipment.
Targeting all major muscle groups will be essential if you want to stay on top of your fitness routine.
The GTS offers 250 exercises that you can perform, which is ideal if you are someone that easily gets bored of the same thing.
Another factor which will determine the Total Gym model you opt for is its price. You should find the Total Gym model that best fits your needs and covers the above points.
Once you’ve whittled down your favorites, you should choose the best Total Gym model that you can afford.
If a slightly more expensive Total Gym model will give you more versatility, it will be worth saving the few extra pennies to add it to your home gym.
The Weider alternative is the cheapest model on the list above.
Benefits of a Total Gym
There are many benefits to having Total Gym equipment in your home gym. These include:
- Takes up little space
- You can transport it easily
- Full body workout
- Functional training to mimic everyday movements
- Save money
There are great benefits to functional training in general. These include a range of positive impacts on your physical wellbeing such as muscle strength, metabolic conditioning, and many more.
Total Gym Workouts
All of the Total Gym models are versatile pieces of equipment. You can use them to complete a variety of exercises.
Here are a few to get you started.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best Total Gym Model- The Bottom Line
After reviewing the range of Total Gym models we found there were some clear winners. The best machine for you will depend on your fitness goals.
Each model offers a different weight capacity, number of exercises and levels of resistance. You can check out the table at the top of this page to scan this information quickly to help compare them.
Overall, the Total Gym XLS is our top pick due to the value you get for the quality and versatility of the model.
Looking to add to your versatile home gym equipment and compare what else is out there other than Total Gyms? Check out our thorough review of over 100 all in one home gym machines here.